1 Protecting your information
YourPorter Pty Ltd (ACN166 347 235) as trustee for the YourPorter Unit Trust and its related entities (collectively, “YourPorter”, “We”, “Us” or “Our”) are fully committed to protecting your privacy.
We value your privacy and take great care protecting the information that you provide us. Our commitment extends to complying with all applicable laws, including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”) and the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) (“Spam Act”) where applicable. Capitalised terms in this Policy have the meaning given to them in the Privacy Act or the Spam Act.
2 What Personal Information do We collect and hold?
We only collect Personal Information that is volunteered during the “Get Connected” process or in response to specific information requests explicitly presented to you (for example, you request that We contact you). The types of Personal Information that We collect includes (but is not limited to) your:
- moving date;
- email address;
- telephone numbers (fixed, mobile, fax); and
- date of birth
- Identification (ID) Details
3 How do We collect your Personal Information?
We collect your Personal Information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting Personal Information from you, We may collect in ways including:
- through your access and use of Our website (including when you submit an application directly to Us through the YourPorter website);
- during conversations between you and Our representatives; or
- when you contact Us via post, fax or email.
We may also collect Personal Information about you from third parties in the following circumstances:
- from the real estate agents that manage a property that you lease or rent or which We otherwise deal with;
- from the real estate agents that are involved in the sale of a property that you purchase or sell;
- when you submit an application or enquiry about Our services via the website of a real estate agency referral partner;
- when you submit a rental application to a real estate agent who is managing that property and consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information to Us;
- when you have purchased a property and submit an application to Us through the real estate agent who is managing the sale of that property;
- where you previously provided your information to a real estate agent (including by subscribing to a property alert or while attending an Open For Inspection conducted by that real estate agent) and you have consented to being contacted by the business partners of that real estate agent (which includes Us); or
- from third party companies such as credit reporting bodies, residential tenancy database operators, law enforcement agencies and other government entities.
4 What happens if We can’t collect your Personal Information?
If you do not provide Us with the Personal Information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- We may not be able to provide Our services to you (or arrange to have any services connected to your property by a utility operator or other service provider);
- We may not be able to provide you with information that you have requested including about the services that We provide or special promotions that may be available through Our partners; or
- We may be unable to tailor the content of Our website to your preferences and your experience of Our website may not be as enjoyable or useful.
5 For what purposes do We collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information?
We collect Personal Information about you so that We can perform Our business activities and functions and provide the best possible standard of customer service to you. We collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to connect the utilities and other services that you have requested;
- to communicate to you during the process of connecting your utilities and other services;
- to send you updates by SMS or other means regarding the status of your connections;
- to provide you with relevant product information and terms and conditions for the utilities and other services that We are connecting for you;
- to aid in the development of new products and services;
- for the purposes of identification when communicating with you;
- to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new services that we or our third party service providers offer;
- to optimise the YourPorter website;
- to provide you with access to protected areas of Our website;
- to conduct business processing functions including providing Personal Information to Our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of Us and Our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated Personal Information to Our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to update Our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority.
6 Collection of information via Our website
Collection of computer data
When you visit the YourPorter.com.au website, Our servers and Our Google Analytics system automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website.
This data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type or the web pages you were visiting before you came to Our website, pages of Our site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information that you search for on Our site, access times, and other statistics.
We don’t treat the data collected as Personal Information or use it in association with Personal Information, though We may aggregate, analyse and evaluate such information to better tailor or improve the products or services that We provide.
As Our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, We cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of any information that you communicate to Us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you provide will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any Personal Information or other information which you transmit to Us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
7 Direct marketing materials
When you request a connection, We may also use your Personal Information to send you marketing or promotional information from time to time. We may also send you direct marketing communications and information about Our services (or the products and services offered by our utility operators, third party service providers or other business partners) that We consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, We will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
You can opt out of receiving marketing information from Us at any time by using the Unsubscribe Facility within the electronic marketing or by sending an ‘unsubscribe request’ to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8 Disclosure of Information
We respect Our customers’ privacy and will not share your Personal Information with any organisations other than related companies and third parties directly related to the connection of utilities and other services that you have requested from Us. Except as described above, We will never sell or rent your Personal Information to anyone else for their marketing purposes without your consent.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to:
- the real estate agents that We deal with or that manage a property that has been rented or leased to you (including to confirm that utilities and other services you have requested have been connected);
- the utility operators (including gas companies, electricity companies and water companies) and other third party service providers who provide the services that you have indicated you want to have connected (such as telecommunications providers, internet service providers and cable television operators);
- our connections service supplier (iSelect Limited), for the purpose of arranging your connections;
- other third parties who you request that We engage or interact with on your behalf, including insurance companies, removalists and third party financiers, lenders or brokers;
- Our employees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of Our website or Our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services to you. The third parties that We may disclose your Personal Information to include, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom We have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
There may be some exceptional circumstances for disclosing your Personal Information, such as when required by law or if We believe (acting reasonably) that We are entitled to disclose Personal Information under any exemption contained in the Privacy Act.
We do not disclose your Personal Information to third parties who are located outside of Australia.
9 Security of your Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We protect Personal Information by:
- restricting access to Personal Information;
- implementing and maintaining technology-based systems to prevent unauthorised access; and
- securely destroying or de-identifying your Personal Information when it is no longer needed or when We are no longer required by law to retain it (whichever is the later).
10 Transfer in certain circumstances
If there is a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganisation or liquidation of YourPorter Pty Ltd then, in Our sole discretion, We may transfer, sell or assign information collected on and through this website (including, without limitation, Personal Information and other information), to one or more relevant third parties.
11 How can you access and correct your Personal Information?
You may request access to any Personal Information that We hold about you at any time by contacting Us using the contact information below. Where We hold information that you are entitled to access, We will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by posting or emailing it to you). We may charge you a reasonable fee to cover Our administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you. We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your Personal Information.
There may be instances where We cannot grant you access to the Personal Information We hold. For example, We may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, We will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that any Personal Information that We hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request that we correct it. We will consider if the information requires correction. If We do not agree that there are grounds for correcting the information then you may request that We add a note to the Personal Information stating that you dispute its accuracy.
12 What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it. We will treat your complaint confidentially and will investigate your complaint promptly. We will aim to ensure that we contact you and that your complaint is resolved within a reasonable time (and in any event within the time required by the Act, if applicable).
13 Contact information
If you have any questions about this Policy, any concerns or a complaint regarding the treatment of your Personal Information or a possible breach of your privacy, please contact Our General Manager using the details set out below. We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially and respond within a reasonable time.
You can contact Our General Manager using any of the following methods:
Tel: 1300 400 600
Email: email@example.com (marked for the attention of the General Manager)
14 Changes to this Policy
Please note that this Policy forms part of the Terms and Conditions for use of Our website and forms part of the Agreement between you and Us. We may change this Policy at any time at Our absolute discretion by posting the revised Policy on Our website. It is your responsibility to review the terms of this Policy regularly. However, in any event, by continuing to use Our website or continuing to receive any services from Us following any changes, you will be deemed to have agreed to any changes to this Policy.
This Policy was last updated on 15 April 2014.